Media Release – 6 November 2018
SUBMARINE CONFERENCE STARTS TONIGHT
The 9th Biennial Submarine Institute of Australia (SIA) Conference 2018 starts in Canberra tonight and Australia’s Assistant Minister for Defence, Senator the Hon David Fawcett, will deliver the opening address of the conference tomorrow.
The theme of this year’s conference is: Collins Life-of-Type Extension – Issues and Opportunities.
“This year’s Submarine Institute of Australia conference is on target to confirm the event’s reputation as the leading forum for submarines in the Asia-Pacific region,” SIA President, Mark Sander said.
“The SIA welcomes delegates and speakers from across Australia and around the world for informed debate and discussion about submarines.”
Following tonight’s Opening Reception, the conference plenary sessions start tomorrow morning.
Highlights of tomorrow’s program include:
- 8.50am-9.15am – Opening address by Senator the Hon David Fawcett, Assistant Minister for Defence.
- 9.15am-9.40am – “Australia’s Future Submarine Program – An Update”, speech by Rear Admiral Gregory Sammut AM, CSC, RAN, Head, Future Submarine Program, Capability Acquisition and Sustainment Group, Department of Defence.
- 10.45am-11.10am – “US Submarine Design, Construction and Life Extension”, speech by Rear Admiral David Goggins USN, United States Navy (USN) Program Executive Officer – Submarines, Naval Sea Systems Command.
- 1.55pm-2.20pm – “Progress with the Future Submarine”, presentation by M Jean-Michel Billig, Chairman, Naval Group Australia and Mr John Davis, Chief Executive Officer, Naval Group Australia.
- 3.35pm-4pm – Speech by Vice Admiral Michael Noonan AO, RAN, Chief of Navy.
- 4pm-4.25pm – “Observations from the Opposition”, speech by Hon Richard Marles MP, Shadow Minister for Defence.
The conference dinner will be held tomorrow night and the guest speaker is Hon David Johnston, Australian Defence Export Advocate.
The conference is being held at the Canberra Rex Hotel.
The full program for the conference can be found here.