12th November 2017
Media Release – 13 November 2017
DEFENCE INDUSTRY MINISTER TO OPEN CONFERENCE
Tonight marks the formal commencement of the 4th Submarine Science, Technology and Engineering Conference (SubSTEC4), while tomorrow morning, the Minister for Defence Industry, Hon Christopher Pyne MP, will deliver the Opening Address.
Minister Pyne is one of a number of high-profile speakers at the conference – the leading Asia-Pacific forum on submarines – which is convened by the Submarine Institute of Australia (SIA) and is being held at the Adelaide Convention Centre until Thursday.
“Almost 300 delegates from around the world have registered to attend, meaning that SubSTEC4 could turn out to be the SIA’s most successful technology conference,” said SIA Executive Director, David Nicholls.
The program for the opening day of plenary sessions (tomorrow – Tuesday, 14 November) includes:
The theme of this year’s conference is “The Australian Submarine Capability – Consolidating Emerging Technologies and Developing the Submarine Workforce”. As part of the event, visits to defence industry and academic research facilities in the greater Adelaide area have been taking place today. The full conference program can be found here.
- 8.35am-8.45am – Speech by Hon Jay Weatherill MP, Premier of South Australia.
- 8.50am-9.15am – Conference Opening Address by Hon Christopher Pyne MP, Minister for Defence Industry.
- 9.15am-9.40am – “Future submarines – sovereignty and the supply chain”, speech by Rear Admiral Stephen Johnson USN (retired), General Manager Submarines, Capability Acquisition and Sustainment Group (CASG), Department of Defence.
- 2.20pm-2.45pm – Speech by Mr Vince Di Pietro AM, CSC, Chief Executive, Lockheed Martin Australia/New Zealand.
- 7pm (SubSTEC4 Conference Dinner) – Welcome by Hon Martin Hamilton-Smith MP, (SA) Minister for Defence and Space Industries; speech by Mr Nick Xenophon.