Media Release – 4 November 2019
NAVY SPEAKERS CONFIRMED FOR SUBMARINE CONFERENCE
Speakers from the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) have been confirmed for Asia-Pacific’s leading forum on submarines, the 5th Submarine Science, Technology and Engineering Conference 2019 (SubSTEC5), which is convened by the Submarine Institute of Australia (SIA).
This year’s SIA conference, which is being held in Fremantle, commences two weeks from today – on Monday, 18 November – and the conference theme is “innovation and investment in the sub-sea environment”.
Speakers from the RAN will be:
- Rear Admiral Mark Hammond RAN, Deputy Chief of Navy (representing as Acting Chief of Navy) and his speaking topic will be “the relevance of submarines and the sub-sea environment to Australia’s strategic situation”; and
- Captain Doug Theobald CSC, RAN, Commander, Submarine Force and he will provide a “state of the union” address, which is an overview of recent submarine activities.
SIA Executive Director, David Nicholls said: “The SIA is pleased that Rear Admiral Hammond and Captain Theobald will be presenting at SubSTEC5, Asia-Pacific’s leading forum on submarines.
“For potential delegates anywhere in Australia and around the world, bookings for the conference will close shortly, so the coming days are your last chance to secure tickets.”
Other confirmed presenters at SubSTEC5 include:
- Hon Mark McGowan MLA, Premier of Western Australia;
- Hon Richard Marles MP, Shadow Minister for Defence;
- Hon Paul Papalia CSC MLA, Western Australian Minister for Defence Issues;
- Rear Admiral Gregory Sammut AO, CSC, RAN, General Manager Submarines, Capability Acquisition and Sustainment Group, Department of Defence;
- Dr David Kershaw, Chief of Maritime Division, Defence, Science and Technology Group, Department of Defence;
- General (Armament) Yannick Cailliez, Direction Generale de l’Armement (French government defence agency), France;
- Mr Ian Irving, Chief Executive, Naval Shipbuilding College;
- Mr Rodney Brown, Chief Engineer, Collins class submarines, ASC;
- Captain Amit Ray, Indian Navy;
- Mr Hans Egonsson, Program Manager, FMV (Swedish Defence Materiel Administration);
- Mr Douglas Stevens, Chairman, Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology, Victoria Division; and
- Mr Rex Hubbard, Chairman, Society for Underwater Technology.
The SIA has also confirmed a conference dinner speaker, with Commodore Bob Trotter OAM, RAN (retired) to speak about Fremantle-based submarine operations during World War 2 during this part of the conference.
Another feature of this year’s conference is all-day tours to industry sites of Matrix, ASC, JFD Australia and L3Harris and an academic tour to Curtin University, the University of Western Australia and Edith Cowan University to see research projects relevant to undersea science and technology, and submarine operations.
The complete program for SubSTEC5 can be found by clicking here.
For further information about SubSTEC5, including how to register to attend, please visit the relevant page on the SIA website by clicking here.