Media Release – 8 November 2021
LEADING FORUM ON SUBMARINES COMMENCES
Indo-Pacific’s leading forum on submarines – the annual Submarine Institute of Australia (SIA) conference – is about to commence at the Adelaide Convention Centre.
The Opening Reception of the conference – the 6th Submarine Science, Technology and Engineering Conference (SubSTEC6) – is on tonight, with plenary sessions taking place tomorrow (Tuesday, 9 November) and on Wednesday (10 November).
Major speeches tomorrow (and the timing of these speeches) include:
- 8.30am: Hon Steven Marshall MP, Premier of South Australia – Welcome to South Australia
- 8.45am: Hon Melissa Price MP, Australia’s Minister for Defence Industry – Keynote address
- 9.15am: Commodore Tom Phillips RAN, Director General Submarines, Royal Australian Navy – “State of the union”
- 9.45am: Captain Daniel LeRaye CSC RAN, Executive Director, Collins Life-of-Type Extension, Royal Australian Navy – Collins-class submarines life-of-type extension
- 10.45am: Dr Cathy Foley AO PSM, Australia’s Chief Scientist – Technology innovation and transition in Australia
- 11.15am: Dr David Kershaw, Chief Science Engagement and Impact Division, Defence Science and Technology Group, Department of Defence – Defence strategy for innovation, science and technology
- 12.15pm: Mr Michael van Balen AO, Principal, Australian Maritime College, University of Tasmania – Defence and academia, collaborative research and development, innovative maritime programs
- 12.45pm: Mr Paul Gay, Chief Operating Officer, Collins-Class Submarines, ASC – Collins-class submarines capability, an industry perspective
- 4.30pm: Hon Brendan O’Connor MP, Shadow Minister for Defence – View from the Opposition
The speaker at tomorrow night’s conference dinner is Professor Emily Hilder, Chief Maritime Division, Defence Science and Technology Group, Department of Defence.
All times above are local Adelaide time.
Between the plenary sessions and the conference dinner, a Student Poster Paper competition will be held, featuring the engineers and other professional services providers of tomorrow.
SIA Executive Director, David Nicholls said: “With Australia’s recent commitment to the new trilateral AUKUS agreement, including that Australia will acquire nuclear submarines, the commencement of Indo-Pacific’s leading forum on submarines – the Submarine Institute of Australia conference – is timely.
“The SIA is expecting approximately 250 delegates to attend SubSTEC6, with more than 100 to participate via the live online stream of the event.
“The theme of the conference is: ‘Home grown undersea technology: how can Australian academia and industry provide a capability edge?’.”
To access the full conference program, please visit the SIA website (by clicking here).
Defence West is the gold sponsor of SubSTEC6.