Media Release – 23 September 2020
LAUNCH OF 2020 SUBMARINE CONFERENCE
Indo-Pacific’s leading submarine conference, which is set to be markedly different than previous years because of coronavirus pandemic restrictions, has been officially launched.
A virtual launch of the 10th Biennial Submarine Institute of Australia (SIA) Conference has taken place in Canberra, previewing what the event itself will be like in just under two months’ time.
When the conference is held in Canberra from 16-18 November, a maximum of 100 people (in total) can attend, however, it will be live streamed to paying delegates across Australia and around the world.
SIA Executive Director, David Nicholls said: “The launch of the conference is a signal that Indo-Pacific’s leading submarine conference is not far away.
“The in-person/hybrid format of an SIA conference is something new, but hopefully it will enable more delegates to register and participate than ever before.
“In addition to the presentations, the hybrid format will offer opportunities for online networking and communication between delegates, whether they are physically at the conference in Canberra or watching online.”
The theme of this year’s conference is “Submarine build and sustainment programs: the strategic nature of reliable sovereign supply chains”.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Hon Richard Marles MP – Shadow Minister for Defence;
- Professor Don Winter – Chair, Naval Shipbuilding Advisory Board;
- Vice Admiral Michael Noonan AO, RAN – Chief of Navy;
- Mr Gregory Sammut – General Manager, Submarines, Capability, Acquisition and Sustainment Group, Department of Defence;
- Rear Admiral David Goggins USN – Program Executive Officer for Submarines, US Navy;
- Professor Tanya Monro – Chief Defence Scientist (Australia);
- Mr Peter Jennings – Executive Director, Australian Strategic Policy Institute; and
- Mr Innes Willox – Chief Executive, Australian Industry Group.
Further information about the program of speakers can be found on the SIA website, by clicking here.
To register for the conference, please visit the SIA website, by clicking here.
Where possible, preference for in-person attendance at the conference will be given to delegates who register the earliest.