Media Release – 1 November 2021
FINAL CALL TO REGISTER FOR CONFERENCE
Registrations for Indo-Pacific’s leading forum on submarines – the annual Submarine Institute of Australia (SIA) conference – are about to close.
With the conference, the 6th Submarine Science, Technology and Engineering Conference (SubSTEC6), set to commence in Adelaide one week from today, the deadlines for registration are:
- In-person attendance at the Adelaide Convention Centre: close of business today (Monday, 1 November); and
- Online participation (live streaming): next Monday, 8 November.
For in-person attendance, late registrations will be accepted in the coming days, however, these will attract an additional charge.
The theme of the conference is: “Home grown undersea technology: how can Australian academia and industry provide a capability edge?”.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Hon Melissa Price MP, Minister for Defence Industry;
- Hon Brendan O’Connor MP, Shadow Minister for Defence;
- Hon Steven Marshall MP, Premier of South Australia;
- Commodore Tom Phillips RAN, Director General Submarines, Royal Australian Navy;
- Captain Daniel LeRaye CSC RAN, Executive Director, Collins Life-of-Type Extension, Royal Australian Navy;
- Dr Cathy Foley AO PSM, Australia’s Chief Scientist; and
- Dr David Kershaw, Chief Science Engagement and Impact Division, Defence Science and Technology Group, Department of Defence.
For delegates attending in person in Adelaide, there will also be site visits to local defence industry businesses and academic institutions as part of the conference.
“While we are expecting around 250 delegates to attend SubSTEC6 or participate online, the Submarine Institute of Australia is making one final call for anyone else who has an interest in this year’s conference to register,” SIA Executive Director David Nicholls said.
“The SIA has assembled another outstanding line-up of speakers, including Minister Price, Shadow Minister O’Connor and South Australian Premier Marshall.
“The conference will provide an update about Australia’s submarine programs, opportunities for discussion about Australia’s recent decision to acquire nuclear-powered submarines and plenary presentations on the life-of-type extensions of the Collins-class submarines.”
To access the full conference program, please visit the SIA website (by clicking here).
Registrations can be made via the SIA website (please click here).
Defence West is the gold sponsor of SubSTEC6.