Media Release – 10 October 2018
COUNTDOWN TO MAJOR SUBMARINE CONFERENCE
It’s just four weeks until the 9th Biennial Submarine Institute of Australia (SIA) Conference 2018 and just over two weeks until registrations for the event close.
Another high-profile line-up of speakers has been assembled, including Australia’s Chief of Navy, confirming the conference’s reputation as the leading submarines forum in the Asia-Pacific region.
Speakers at the conference, which will be held in Canberra from 6-8 November, include:
- Senator the Hon David Fawcett, Australia’s Assistant Minister for Defence;
- Hon Richard Marles MP, Shadow Minister for Defence;
- Vice Admiral Michael Noonan AO, RAN, Chief of Navy;
- Rear Admiral Gregory Sammut AM, CSC, RAN, Head, Future Submarine Program, Capability Acquisition and Sustainment Group, Department of Defence;
- Rear Admiral David Goggins USN, Program Executive Officer – Submarines, Naval Sea Systems Command, United States Navy; and
- Hon David Johnston, Australian Defence Export Advocate (Conference Dinner Speaker).
SIA President, Mark Sander said: “Recent publicity about the contracting arrangements for the Future Submarines, included discussion and debate about the importance of the Collins-class submarines in maintaining Australia’s sovereign submarine capability.
“Therefore, it has turned out to be timely that the theme for this year’s conference is ‘Collins Life-of-Type Extension – Issues and Opportunities’.”
Tickets to the conference are selling quickly. For further information about speakers and how to register, please visit the SIA’s website: www.submarineinstitute.com