21st June 2018
Media Release – 22 June 2018
BOOK EARLY FOR SUBMARINE CONFERENCE
Early-bird registrations for the 9th Biennial Submarine Institute of Australia (SIA) Conference 2018 close next week.
This year’s conference, where the theme is “Collins Life of Type Extension – Issues and Opportunities”, will be held in Canberra from 6-8 November.
“The SIA conference has built a reputation as the leading forum in the Asia-Pacific region for information-sharing, debate and networking on all matters relating to submarines,” said SIA Executive Director, David Nicholls. “This year’s event promises to be no exception, given the speakers who have accepted our invitation to present so far.”
Confirmed speakers include:
Conference speakers will be supported by a number of high-quality presentations of papers.
- Hon Christopher Pyne MP, Australia’s Minister for Defence Industry;
- Senator the Hon Marise Payne, Minister for Defence;
- Rear Admiral Greg Sammut AM, CSC, RAN, Head, Future Submarine Program, Capability Acquisition and Sustainment Group, Department of Defence;
- Commodore Tim Brown, RAN, Director General Submarines, Navy Strategic Command; and
- Hon David Johnston, Australian Defence Export Advocate (Conference Dinner Speaker).
“The SIA has had an excellent response to our call for abstracts,” Mr Nicholls said. “In keeping with the theme of this year’s conference, many of the abstracts will directly relate to extending the life of the Collins-class submarines to ensure there is no gap in Australia’s sovereign submarine capability during the transition to the Future Submarines.”
For more information about the 9th Biennial SIA Conference (including how to book), please visit our website, www.submarineinstitute.com.